Thursday, September 28, 2017

I LOVE JOHNNY COSTA'S



I HAVE FOUND MY DREAM ITALIAN RESTAURANT....
                             JOHNNY COSTA'S



Over the past couple of years I have been trying different Italian places all over the valley. I love real New York Italian food. Don't give me three noodles with watery, canned red sauce. I also certainly do appreciate more nouvelle Italian food. Good is good. Some of the restaurants I've tried have been quite decent, but Johnny's is MINE. It's Patsy's in New York or Martoni's and the Villa Capri in LA (both defunct).



It's no coincidence Johnny Costa started as a sous-chef at the Villa Capri as a young man just over from Italy. He actually made the steak dish for Frank Sinatra that became Steak Sinatra. His tradition is carried on superbly by his family. Johnny Costa's opened in 1976, and now Vinnie Costa is the head chef.

If you are looking for truly delicious food, warm family greetings, and a new sleek, fresh atmosphere---go to Johnny's. They just redid their dining room, taking it from deep green booths to beiges and taupes. It's a pleasure to experience it.




I always order Spaghetti and Meatballs when I'm trying a new Italian restaurant. If they can't get that right, there's no point in going back. WOW! I LOVED theirs. It had the perfect ratio of sauce to noodle; the sauce was the right thickness and had the divine mixture of sweetness and bite. You could tell the sauce was cooked for hours.



Good Lord, this was SO FANTASTIC.







Another test is a Pounded Veal Chop. If it's a special, try to get it. The veal was of the highest quality and was pounded to the perfect thinness. The breading was not heavy or oily. It was crisp and seasoned beautifully. Put some fresh lemon on that and "go to town."




I'm now starving as I write this.   They also bake their own rolls and focaccia!

Their prices are appropriate for the quality of food you receive.
Steak Sinatra $30
Veal dishes-$29-30
Pastas-$17-26
Chicken dishes-$22



Johnny Costa's
johnnycostaspalmsprings.com
440 S. Palm Canyon Dr.
Palm Springs, Ca
92262
760-325-4556

No comments:

Post a Comment